Built in 1696, this palace belonged to the Monti family, who were involved in the timber trade in the 18th and 19th centuries, a resource in Comelico that was already very prosperous at that time. Thanks to the prosperity achieved through trade, Galeazzo Monti and his son Osvaldo (mayor of Comelico Superiore in 1810), both passionate about drawing and painting, were able to dedicate themselves, for nearly a century, to the activities of patrons and promoters of art, transforming their home into a place of artistic fervor.
The family's passion for art also benefited the interiors of the palace: painter Giovanni De Min has indeed painted extraordinary cycles of tempera with mythological backgrounds in various rooms of the house.
Unfortunately, the house, still inhabited by the Monti-Giacobbi family in the summer season, is not open for visits; however, you can appreciate the characteristic architectural layout of the palace by walking through the streets of Candide.
Curiosities
Giovanni De Min, the fresco artist of the nearby church of S. Maria Assunta, was hosted by the Monti family throughout the duration of his work.